Bixby is a voice and virtual assistant developed by Samsung Electronics. Here is the evolution of Bixby, a timeline of the intelligence platform’s growth.
Beginning in February 2017
Samsung Unveils Bixby at Galaxy Unpacked 2017 Samsung Electronics introduces a new intelligent interface, called Bixby, alongside the Galaxy S8 and S8+. Bixby’s intelligence and voice support open the door for users to streamline a wide range of tasks with simple commands.
Bixby Officially Launches Galaxy S8 and S8+ users in Korea become the first to utilize Bixby’s deep integration, contextual awareness and voice support to simplify their daily lives.
Global Launch and Additional Language Support Samsung incorporates support for voice commands in U.S. English and begins Bixby’s global rollout. Chinese language support is added in November, enabling millions more to take advantage of Bixby’s convenience.
Transformation in October 2017
Introducing the New Bixby At the Samsung Developer Conference (SDC), Samsung announces plans to transform Bixby from an intelligent interface into a convenient and intuitive intelligent assistant that will be available on various devices. The new Bixby will serve as a single, easy-to-use platform for controlling products and services, and be more personal, conversational and useful.
Building a Scalable Intelligence Platform At SDC18, Samsung opens Bixby up to customization with the announcement of all-new developer tools and resources. These include:
- Bixby Capsule: These Bixby-powered services are known as capsules, and they contain everything Bixby needs to know to support new features.
- Bixby Developer Studio: An Integrated Development Environment (IDE) that offers developers the tools they need to build, launch and scale Bixby-powered services.
- Bixby Marketplace: A one-stop-shop for users to enhance their Bixby experience by browsing and adding a wide range of Samsung and developer-created capsules.
Expansion on February 2019
Additional Language Support Samsung expands Bixby’s voice capabilities by incorporating support for five European languages: British English, French, German, Italian and Spanish.
Bixby Expands to More Smartphones The launch of the Galaxy A50 signals an expansion of Bixby’s support to more Samsung smartphone lines.
The Bixby Marketplace Is Open The Bixby Marketplace officially launches in the U.S. and Korea. Developers may now scale services for Bixby that can be utilized by the platform’s expansive user base.
Bixby Available on Devices Across the Galaxy Ecosystem Bixby is available not only on several of Samsung’s latest Galaxy smartphones but wearables and tablets as well.
A New Phase of Evolution Today, Samsung’s intelligent assistant is more powerful than ever and available on an expanding array of Samsung IoT devices. And it’s only going to get better and more ubiquitous with time. Check out this snapshot of Bixby’s latest stats and features:
- The number of registered developers has doubled in the last 6 months
- In the four months since opening the Marketplace, we’ve grown the number of available Bixby capsules to a few hundred.
- Bixby Template brings non-coders into Samsung’s developer ecosystem, offering users a variety of templates – built to handle many situations – that don’t require them to write complicated code.
- Bixby Views lets developers create simple, consistent user interface designs for capsules that can be applied to a wide range of Bixby-enabled devices – including not just smartphones, but TVs, tablets, refrigerators and more.
- Natural Language: Categories make capsule discovery faster and easier by enabling users to call up capsules using natural language, rather than each capsule’s specific name.
Let us know how your experience with Bixby on the Samsung device.